Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Weekly Activity Planner


Now, before I get started, this idea might seem like just one more thing to do.  But, just so you know, it is something that has helped me out a lot, so I thought I would share it with you.  I don't have any kids in school yet, but I was also thinking that this might be a helpful idea for those of you with kids home for the summer.  The idea comes from The Toddler's Busy Book, which has a bunch of great ideas for things to do with toddlers.  I need to update my library and buy The Preschooler's Busy Book to go along with the first one.  (I just looked them up on Amazon.com - don't spend $23 on the Toddler one.  I don't think I paid more than $10 for mine, and I LOVE it!)

Every week (I do mine on Monday - to start the week off right), I pull one of these sheets out (feel free to use this image), and fill things in.  I know there's already a whole lot of stuff to do during the day, and it might seem insane to try and think of things to fill up an already overflowing day.  This idea really does help your day go smoother!  I promise!  Once I fill in the days with things I have to do, or that are already planned (for example, grocery shopping on Monday, babysitting on Wednesday and Thursday, storytime, playgroup, swimming lessons, etc.), then I add two or more activities to the day - depending on how busy it already is.  Then, at any point during the day, I have an activity already planned.  That way, when boredom sets in, or I have something that really needs my attention, the kids have an activity to keep them occupied.  The activities don't have to be anything spectacular - just entertaining.  I love being prepared when I babysit.  The day seems to go much smoother when the kids are occupied.  

You'll see that on the right side of the page is a section to list what needs to be bought.  I've found this is handy to list out, right as I'm writing down the activity (could be felt, or googly eyes, or whatever), so that I can have all the supplies handy when it's time to start the activity or craft.  You can take the planning page to the store (dollar stores work well for kid's craft supplies), or transfer it to a shopping list you might already have.  Sometimes I just get my supplies from Target when I find a good deal, or when I don't have enough time to make an extra trip somewhere.  Another helpful hint, that most of you moms probably already know, is to stock up on craft supplies, and just keep them handy.  Things like glitter, popsicles sticks, glue sticks, kid scissors, stickers, construction paper, paint (watercolor, fingerpaint, tempra paint...), pipecleaners, and the list could go on.  You can also use things you find around your house - like cotton balls.

So, that's my idea for the day.  My week is pretty full, so I didn't plan too many extra activities.  Here are some of the ones I do have down, if you're interested. :)  Making Father's Day cards, learning about the letter "H" with some activities from Preschool Themes and Lesson Plans, and chalk drawing on black paper.

Here is an example of one of the activities from The Preschooler's Busy Book.  I found it here.  Isn't it darling?  And easy and cheap, too.  You can't get better than that!  She used it for her kids on a plane trip.  I think I'll have to create some myself, for our next airplane trip.
.

8 comments:

  1. cute stuff! we have a cabinet with "crafty" stuff the kids dig through every day. my kids love art and creating things and you're right, its good to just have those kind of supplies on hand.

    i love that felt picture idea and will definitely have to do something like that for the kids for our flight coming up. thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother-in-law gave me the toddler's busy book and the preschooler's busy book. There are some great ideas in them. I haven't tried doing the weekly planner yet, but I might give it a try when we get back from our trip. Thanks for cute ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had to comment before I hit the hay. Awesome ideas. We must be related or something because I bought this $1 teacher planner thing at Dollar Tree to start planing fun things during the week. I like your planner page better though. I think the "things to buy" column is great. I love the felt busy book. Light weight & adorable. Keep the great ideas coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is soo cute. I have been meaning to make my daughter one. I found a really cute pattern at Joann's that is just great. Love yours!!! Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the weekly planner idea. Since I also babysit, and we are going to be moving in less then a month. This will keep me sane. Thanks for the tip. Also Naomi's hair is so cute. Peyton's hair is getting super long and she has curls in the back too. Gotta love when they have curls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so fun! i love being organized and i like that page a lot. It makes me want to be a mom already! haha. I'll wait though. i've got a few other things to take care of first. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like your new site and you always have great ideas. Thanks for being a good example!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE this idea! I'm always cramming my weeks into those teeny tiny squares on my calendar, it gets very chaotic. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete