Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving!

I just want to wish everyone a happy Thanksgiving.  I love baking at this time of year.  During the summer I usually stick to salads and quick, oven-less stuff, so it's nice to get back in to baking.  I'm excited to start on some of it tonight.  I like to try and get as much done the night before as I can.  I get the stuff done that doesn't matter if it's a day old - like pies, sometimes rolls.  Even still, I usually still spend all day in the kitchen. :)  I guess I'm still working on getting the timing of everything right.  I'm going to try a new recipe for the turkey this year, and I'm hoping it turns out moist and delicious.  I also just learned about brining, so I think I'll try that and see if it's worth the extra work.
I also want to say that I have soooo much to be thankful for.  I am so blessed.  As a kid, we had a tradition of going around the table, and saying what we were thankful for.  We couldn't repeat what anyone else had said, and it was always amazing how long we could go for.  I like that this holiday reminds us to be grateful, and to not take things for granted.  I know there are a lot of things I could be more grateful for.  I am especially grateful for my family.  David is a wonderful husband, and I love him so much!  He really loves and supports me - even when I'm crazy!  I love being a mom to my sweet, happy kids.  They are such a blessing!  I could go on and on, but I think instead I'll write notes to them, and also to the other people who are blessings in my life, to let them know how much I appreciate them.  Enjoy the feast and family time tomorrow!

6 comments:

  1. Have a Happy Thanksgiving! It sounds like you guys will have some yummy food. I also love the smells of the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy happy day to you guys! I hope everything went well! What on earth is brining a turkey? Laurel mentioned that she did it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy thanksgiving willson family! hope you had a wonderful thanksgiving day. sounds like you had a delicious meal. i don't know what brining is either. fill us in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You soak the turkey in a salt water bath for 8-24 hours before you cook it. It's supposed to make it more moist. I'm not sure I noticed a difference, but I did do a butter rub and glaze too, so maybe it would be more noticeable if I hadn't done those things too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. cool. i've never had to make a turkey before so i don't know all the how-to on that:)

    ReplyDelete