Thursday, December 13, 2007

Mud Puddles

Yesterday was rainy and cold. Brr! It still amazes me how fast, and how drastically the weather can change around here. Tuesday it was warm, and a little overcast - okay, I guess it was raining for part of the day, but it was still warm (upper 60's I think). Yesterday the thermostat on the car said it was 36* while I was driving around. Crazy!
Anyway, we had some fun yesterday outside in the cold and the rain. We bundled up and put on our rain boots and splashed in the mud puddles (which are abundant in our yard), and kicked a ball around. We have some drainage problems along our fences, so there are usually mud puddles there anyway. With all the rain, they were nice and deep. Since we had our rain boots on, I told Christopher he could walk and play over there. His eyes lit up at the opportunity to traverse the forbidden swamp lands, and kept kicking the ball that we were playing with that direction. A good way to use up some energy on a cold rainy day. Afterwards we came inside and had hot chocolate together. Very cozy. Don't worry - I wasn't running around with a nine month old baby in the freezing rain. Naomi was napping while we had our adventures.
One of Christopher's favorite things is when David or I make up a story to tell him. For a while he wanted them all to be about Rover (a dog), who loves playing in mud puddles. They would go something like this: Once upon a time there was a dog named "Rover" (said by Christopher). I would continue: his favorite thing to do in the whole world was "play in mud puddles" (also said by Christopher - he would choose what the Rover story was about each night, and more often than not it was about mud puddles, which is interesting since I don't think he himself had ever played in a mud puddle before. Maybe he was secretly wishing he could.) Then I would go on to tell a story about Rover the dog playing in mud puddles with his best friend, Christopher. So, I think that playing in mud puddles yesterday was fulfilling some life-long goal. It must have made him very happy.
He has recently been asking for super hero stories, so we might be entering a new phase. It's fun to be raising a boy, that's for sure! Here are some pictures. His pants got totally soaked and muddy, which must be a good indication of how much fun he had.




8 comments:

  1. What fun! I have to agree that raising boys are fun. They are full of energy, but I love that about them. You are such a sweet mom for letting Christopher play in the mud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big grin in the last picture so he was obviously having a blast:-). I think boys just come wired to like getting dirty. -Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS don't you know you are supposed to tuck the pants into the boots before stomping in the mud and the water, hahaha. - Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, I do know about tucking the pants into the boots - it just didn't last for long. :) Oh well, I guess that's what's fun for boys, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey, its not just for boys- my girls do the same thing! they love to stomp around in mud puddles in their princess boots:) ok, so its not exactly the same, but close. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. where are you sarah? you are missed in the blog world! i need a post pronto:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey long lost Sarah, I finally found you and your cute kids. I miss you! Jess gave me your blog address. I don't write a lot, but my blog is www.glowingpickle.blogspot.com if you ever want to read it. No cute pictures of kids though. Or guys.

    ReplyDelete