Thursday, September 20, 2007

Our travels

Well, it appears that Naomi is back in dreamland, so I have a few more uninterrupted minutes, which I will use to update my blog. We had a great time up in the great northwest with my fam. They also had a terrific time with the kids, and we all parted wishing we lived closer together. Unfortunately they are almost to the Canadian border, and we're pretty close to the Mexican border. About as far apart as you can get in the same country. At least we don't live on the East Coast, or something. Not that I have anything against the East Coast. In fact, I would love to live there someday - I think it's gorgeous, there's tons to do, and it would be a great adventure. It would be a whole lot farther to travel, though.
Anyways, we enjoyed the cool weather, and had to wear long pants and jackets pretty much the entire time. The natives were boiling, while I was wishing I'd brought my slippers. Christopher played outside with Lady (the dog) any chance he could. Grandma even made him a tent out there for snacks and stories. We went to a train museum in Bellingham that had a huge track with working models and switches and everything. It even had Thomas toys. Yay for trains! Another day we went and looked around this cute Dutch town that has all sorts of stores - trinkets, toys, kitchen stuff, and yummy food. The kids were good, until we pushed them way past nap time, that is. They both fell asleep on the way home. In many ways it's nice that Christopher still takes a 2 hour nap everyday (and needs it, for sure!), but there are lots of times that I just wish we didn't have to worry about it. I guess that will come. I should count my blessings, right? :)
We roasted marshmallows in the fire pit in the back yard, and learned the "perfect" way to cook a marshmallow (thanks, Dad!). We took a trip to the lake, and made it in all the way to our knees. Christopher was brave and was walking around up to his armpits. He sure does love the water, that kid. Grandma and Grandpa threw him a birthday party, and Grandma made him a Mickey Mouse cake, which was a hit. We went to some parks, and we even got to wash Grandma and Grandpa's cars. This was fun for Christopher, since he hasn't ever done it before. We haven't been able to wash our cars in the driveway because of the water restrictions here.
All in all, it was a terrific trip. I can't say that traveling with two kids is a whole lot of fun, but it was manageable, and worth it. We were sad that Dave couldn't be there, and that he had to work while we were off having fun. I am glad, though, that I didn't stay home while he was in Cali. That wouldn't have been fun!
Here are some pics from our trip.

Todd and Christopher


At the train museum


Roasting Marshmallows


At the lake




The birthday party


The birthday cake

1 comment:

  1. It looks like you guys had fun! What a cute cake! Can you believe your little guy is almost 3? I'm jealous you were in a place where you got to wear pants and a jacket. I SO look forward to that here. My favorite time of year is the fall. I'm glad you had a great time and glad you're back too:)

    ReplyDelete