Tuesday, September 28, 2010

july {condensed}

July was another traveling month for us.  After we returned from Arizona, I unpacked and did all the laundry, so that we could pack it all up again for a trip to New York and Ontario, Canada to visit my mom's side of the family.  We had a great time!  We flew into Buffalo, and drove over to Palmyra where we stayed for a few nights.  It was nice to see all the sights and the pageant again, and especially nice that Dave and the kids were able to experience it too.  We asked the kids to be reverent while we were in the sacred grove, and they did a great job.  They both said that they could feel the spirit while we were there.




Saw some church history sites
Grandin printing press

Standing on original Joseph Smith family farm, with the Palmyra temple in the background.
Saw some church history sites.  Naomi LOVED my cousin Derek.  Everyone else, too, but especially Derek.

Pageant getting set up.  It was wonderful, and the kids were amazed.

Funny group shot.


After Palmyra, we drove up to my Aunt Marsha’s house.  I wasn’t feeling too well on the drive, and hoped that it was only a cold.  Unfortunately, it was strep – again!  Luckily one of my uncles was able to call in a prescription for me to a Walgreens in New York.  Dad and Dave drove down to pick it up for me, which was very much appreciated.  Unfortunately, having strep meant that I missed almost everything about being up there.  I was able to sit out on the porch for a little bit while everyone swam, but didn’t do much else.  I am glad I wasn’t sick at a hotel, though.

They did lots of fun stuff without me.

Niagara Falls was our next stop.  We saw the Canadian side, rode the trolley on the American side, and rode the Maid of the Mist.  Riding the boat up to the falls was a blast!  There is so much water coming over; it is amazing.  I recently read a book that said that only 50% of the potential water actually goes over the falls – the rest is diverted for the hydroelectric plant there.  And, during the night only 25% is allowed to go over.  I can’t imagine what it would be like with twice as much water going over.

crossing the border



cousins

The next morning we woke up early to make it to the airport for our flight.  It was delayed because of mechanical issues.  Dave called to see about our connecting flight in Cincinnati, which was a good thing!  If we had taken the flight out of Buffalo, we would have been stuck in the Cincinnati airport over night – we wouldn’t have been able to make any flights to DFW because of the delay.  So, instead of sleeping in the airport we decided to stay in Buffalo, where we already had a hotel.  Mom and Dad weren’t able to fly out either, so we had another day to spend together before leaving for home.  It was a fun vacation!

That left only one week remaining in July, which I used to catch up with everything around here.  What fun summer vacations we had!

No comments:

Post a Comment